Johnson & Johnson at the moment launched the Champions of Science Africa Innovation Problem 2.zero, the second continent-wide competitors calling on African innovators to submit concepts for progressive applied sciences, merchandise and options which have the potential to create constructive impression for African communities. The problem focuses on figuring out scalable and sustainable options to 6 main well being and environmental issues for Africa’s inhabitants.
“The rising variety of innovation hubs all through Africa is sparking a brand new era of entrepreneurs who’re innovating and discovering new options for points going through their communities,” stated Josh Ghaim, Ph.D., Chief Expertise Officer, Johnson & Johnson Client Inc. and member of the Johnson & Johnson Analysis & Improvement Administration Committee, who’s launching the problem at the moment on the Africa Ladies Innovation & Entrepreneurship Discussion board in Cape City.
“Our aim with the second Africa Innovation Problem is to increase our help for the area’s entrepreneurs by pushing the boundaries of inventive options to fulfill a number of areas of pressing want. With six new resolution classes, Africa Innovation Problem 2.zero represents a rare alternative for the area’s rising group of innovators to showcase new concepts with the potential for broad societal impression,” added Ghaim.
Associated: 10 SA Entrepreneurs Who Constructed Their Companies From Nothing
“At Johnson & Johnson, we imagine a terrific concept can come from anybody, anyplace, and we work with entrepreneurs all over the world to relentlessly pursue improvements that advance and improve the well being of everybody, in all places,” stated Seema Kumar, Vice President, Innovation, World Public Well being and Science Coverage Communication, Johnson & Johnson and member of the Johnson & Johnson Analysis & Improvement Administration Committee, who’s concurrently launching the problem at the moment on the Ladies Leaders in World Well being Convention in London.
“That is an thrilling time to be a part of Africa’s quickly advancing innovation ecosystem, which acknowledges that individuals and sufferers throughout the continent are ready for pressing options. The Africa Innovation Problem supplies an essential platform to help rising entrepreneurs and assist speed up the event of distinctive, sustainable well being care and environmental options.”
The Africa Innovation Problem 2.zero is designed to handle the important unmet wants of the continent and native communities in Africa whereas offering help to Africa-based entrepreneurs in creating progressive well being care services and products. Among the many choice standards, entries should exhibit the potential for scale from proof of idea stage to long-term sustainability. Problem contributors with one of the best options will obtain as much as US$50,000 in funding and mentorship from the worldwide community of scientists, engineers and enterprise managers inside the Johnson & Johnson Household of Corporations to carry new options ahead.
“We’re thrilled to be collaborating as soon as once more on the Africa Innovation Problem,” stated Thierry Zomahoun, President and CEO of the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) and Founder and Chairman of the Subsequent Einstein Discussion board (NEF). “Earlier this yr, at our biennial Subsequent Einstein Discussion board occasion, we had the pleasure of listening to from the primary problem winners. The unimaginable success of their companies supplies fantastic examples of management and entrepreneurialism and is a testomony to the wonderful younger expertise throughout Africa. We stay up for the winners of Africa Innovation Problem 2.zero.”
“The Johnson & Johnson Household of Corporations contains of one of many world’s largest well being care firms and is drawing on over 85 years of engagement in Africa in over 25 nations, and we’re proud to help Africa’s quickly advancing innovation ecosystem,” stated Alma Scott, Vice President, Operations and Partnerships, World Public Well being, Johnson & Johnson.
“We’ve discovered over time that fixing last-mile challenges by way of native empowerment provides the best potential impression within the combat in opposition to public well being challenges, and that it may well additionally assist gas the native economic system and catalyse infrastructure investments.”
Associated: 10 Younger Entrepreneurs Below 30 Share Their Begin-Up Secrets and techniques
Resolution Classes for the Africa Innovation Problem 2.zero
The problem’s six new resolution classes goal to handle vital threats to Africa’s well being care programs and surroundings:
- Botanical Options: Sixty to eighty p.c of households in Africa nonetheless depend on conventional drugs to take care of themselves and family members. We’re in search of naturally-derived, plant-based options that faucet into conventional information and ship shopper well being and wellness advantages by way of topical utility.
- Packaging Improvements: Managing packaging waste from the rising consumption in Africa is a problem for a lot of communities. We’re in search of sustainable improvements for packaging of single-dose models and different reasonably priced product sizes that may cut back or remove waste, whereas defending the product.
- Psychological Well being: Caring for somebody with psychological sickness, particularly the youth, will be very difficult for rural communities. Because of this, 75-85% of individuals dwelling with psychological sickness in Africa might not have entry to psychological well being care. We’re in search of improvements that create consciousness for psychological sickness as a public well being downside and supply options for sufferers, caregivers, and their communities to handle these points.
- Well being Employee Assist: African frontline well being employees expertise excessive charges of stress and burnout because of the heavy burden of illness and marked well being system challenges. We’re in search of improvements that help the wellbeing and resilience of nurses, midwives and group well being employees on the coronary heart of delivering care.
- Digital Well being Instruments: The African continent has the world’s poorest well being outcomes, with HIV, TB, Psychological Well being, Maternal Well being and Ebola having particularly massive impression significantly on ladies. We’re in search of digital instruments (together with apps and different cell/internet/knowledge enabled tech) for these essential well being care areas that may inform, educate, talk and join folks to therapy, help and care by way of their attain and knowledge and enhance well being outcomes particularly for girls.
- Important Surgical Care: A good portion of the burden of illness in Africa will be handled with surgical procedure. Nevertheless, many well being services in sure areas shouldn’t have the capability to ship even fundamental surgical companies. We’re in search of improvements that promote entry to well timed, protected, and expert surgical care.
Problem submissions might originate from anyplace in Africa, and from a number of people, groups or firms; topic to sure eligibility necessities set out within the phrases and circumstances for the problem. The submitted well being care options might be evaluated primarily based on their skill to fulfill the next standards:
- Concept submission addresses at the least one of many six problem classes
- Concept submission is progressive and inventive
- Concept submission is scalable
- Concept submission outlines how the award would assist the applicant(s) attain a important milestone inside the timeframe of a single yr and supplies a full commercialisation plan.
To use to the Problem and evaluate the relevant phrases and circumstances, please go to the Africa Innovation Problem web site. The deadline to submit purposes is January 16, 2019. Neither Johnson & Johnson nor any of its firms is granted any rights to applicant concepts on account of their participation within the Problem. Candidates and winners stay free to proceed the additional growth of their concepts on their very own. Award recipients might be introduced in Spring 2019.
For extra data on the Africa Innovation Problem and the tales of innovation from previous winners, please go to www.jnjinnovation.com/africachallenge/.